Monday, November 12, 2012

Kuala Lumpur, Apple Hotel (2011, Mar 12)


A month and a week before my Indochina trip this year and I had yet to book a hotel room in Kuala Lumpur, my stopover city for 2 days before I flew to Siem Reap. So many options, yet none caught my attention. I was looking for a hotel with good location... within walking distance to various forms of public transport or main tourist attractions and of course... budget friendly :)

The best option would be none other than the hip and happening Bukit Bintang district. Many hotels, hostels and guesthouses were recommended by fellow travelers... and I had read a bunch of travel guide reviews on accommodation as well, yet none suited my requirements. Then one day... voila!!! one small hotel caught my attention... a 2 star boutique hotel by the name Apple Hotel, located at Jalan Alor, the "notorious" eating paradise. Finally! A relatively new hotel it is. The soft opening of the hotel started in October 2010. Yippie! I could ease my mind that I wouldn't come across those bed bugs, which popped up as hot issue in each and every reviews of fellow travelers on budget hotels at Bukit Bintang. I booked a twin-bed room for 1 night thru AGODA at USD38,82 ~ RM118 ~ IDR 365,914.


Location? Superb! I had no trouble hopping into Star Shuttle (www.starwira.com) that drove my sis and I directly from LCCT to the hotel front door for RM18. At first glance, it looked like it was going to be one of those disappointing hotel I've ever checked into, but a moment later, my prejudice was proven 100% wrong! Upon check-in, guest can collect complimentary towel (though it's not a luxury soft fluffy one. What do you expect, girl? :) Security is excellent. Gotta tap your pass (room key) thru every entrance. Considerately designed, this clean boutique hotel features a bright apple green walls and nice laminated hardwood floors. Private bathrooms come with shower facilities. Yes, I must say that the room is super tiny, but it makes up for it with its cozy bed and cool ceiling LCD TV. Even the tiny bathroom was nice to shower in. However the wall were a little thin, with people banging doors all night long. Well, at this point I guess it's me to be blamed. The acutely insomniac me should never leave behind my earplugs in order to have a good night sleep :)


Overall I had nothing else to complain. This small designer hotel offers some unique furniture like the name suggests, An Apple... 


www.applehotels.com 

Apples Everywhere
Apple Hotel’s feature wall displays a gigantic direction map of the city and the location of various places to visit. So you can plan your KL adventure at a mere glance while sitting on the apple cushion and enjoy free wireless internet at the petite lobby.

Here everything goes with the apple theme... let's start from the petite lobby... the Apple Rattan Chair, Apple Cushion, Apple Stand...

... Apple Wall Lamp
... Apple Bowl Basin
... Apple Mineral Water
... Apple Hotel Signboard
... and many more. You name it... apple name card holder, apple accessories inside the glass door cabinet, even apple paperclip. If only they could come up with an apple-shaped lift, it'll be an out-of-the-box breakthrough I bet :) Now let's move on to the hotel location, shall we?


Apple Hotel


Located in the heart of downtown Kuala Lumpur, Apple Hotel at Jalan Alor is within easy reach to all the best attractions in the city. The hotel is a mere walking distance to various forms of public transport and train stations... and it's in the middle of the Bukit Bintang Action, with heaps of local delights, nightlife spots and major shopping malls.

The hotel stands out with unique green color and big apple sign within the rundown building.


Jalan Alor


A famous hawker street at night. Both sides of Jalan Alor are lined by endless rows of hawker stalls and alfresco restaurants, strewed with hawker stands selling fruits, barbequed meats and snacks.

Hotel Corridor

A cute way of numbering the room. They leave out the zero number. I got Room Number 56... aka 506... which is right across the aircon at the corridor. It's one high power aircon that I didn't have to switch on my in-room aircon... yet I was freezing cold all night long. The plus point of a small space???

Mini Lift
Switches
Twin-bed Room
The beds are all Dreamland beds. The hotel gives each guests a fresh towel and personal pillowcase to use (and take home). It's not a cotton pillowcase by the way... it's a washi (paper) pillowcase. Hmmm...

Extra beds/pillows are not available. Quite reasonable considering the petite space. Very small room to a point there is no space for a suitcase. 2 people with suitcases will definitely be a struggle. I bet you got the picture now :)

The Supposedly Dressing Mirror :)

Nice crystal clear LCD TV.
Nice crystal clear LCD TV.

The bathroom has an almost transparent wall, so you may want to ask your room mate to exit the room while you're doing your business.

Ensuite Bathroom

Each room comes with standard bathroom amenities, i.e. shampoo and shower gel, bidet hose, hot and cold rain shower. Hairdryer is available upon request.



Ensuite Bathroom
Ensuite Bathroom
Bath Rug
A Non-smoking Hotel


Dear heavy smokers, this hotel is definitely not for you as the main lobby and all rooms are strictly no smoking... unless you don't mind being charged RM200 for the cost cleaning plus 3 days of room charges.

Upon check-out, the hotel offers a free luggage storage room, so you can enjoy some last minute shopping and come back to collect your luggage before you leave.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bukit Bintang, Sungei Wang Hotel (2019, Nov 7-12)

I am never a backpacker, and since I tick most of the signs from "13 Signs You're Too Old to be A Backpacker" (traveller.com.a...